How retailers can increase foot traffic in their stores
Five tips to increase foot traffic at your brick & mortar store by using technology to better serve your customers.
It’s no secret that foot traffic is a key ingredient in the success of your business. The more people who visit your store or restaurant, the more opportunities you have to make sales and boost revenue. Therefore, it’s important to know how to attract nearby consumers to visit your location.
The Perk Hero team has worked with merchants and users for nearly five years in the area of mobile technology and we’ve learned a thing or two (or three) along the way.
First, customers aren’t necessarily buying less, they are shopping differently. With the pervasiveness of smartphones today, consumers know what they want and go online to view recommendations and get ideas before placing an order or making a purchase.
Second, along with that mobile interaction comes new expectations: they want fast, convenient mobile payment options and they want to be rewarded for their loyalty. Fortunately, a business can deliver a dynamic loyalty program that meets these expectations thanks to mobile customer loyalty platforms such as Perk Hero.
Third, customers’ priorities are shifting from buying things to buying experiences. Customers want a personalized experience and they prefer brands that remember who they are whether they are on a digital channel or in-store. The benefit of creating personalized shopping experiences is obvious: research shows time and again that customers are willing to spend more money. The businesses that make the effort to deliver a customized experience, win!
Here are five tips to attract customers and drive foot traffic to your business.
1. Speed up the order and payment experience. In today’s hyper-connected world, consumers want a fast and painless experience. They don’t want to wait in lines. They don’t want to wait to order or pay. They don’t want a paper stamp card, or to wait for a paper receipt. They prefer ordering in advance, instant payments, digital receipts and rewards stored directly in their phones. Delivering on all of these aspects means customers will be more likely to return, and recommend your business to others because of their positive experience.
2. Create a loyalty program. Customer retention is a big challenge for a lot of businesses. A one-time customer is good, but a long-term, loyal shopper is much better. A great way to keep customers coming back is by offering a mobile-based digital loyalty program. It can be points based to redeem toward future purchases. It can also integrate fun “gaming” elements to the shopping experience such as “spin the wheel” type deals.
3. Send personalized in-app marketing messages to your customers. The best way to impress your newly signed-up loyalty customers is to make the content and offerings so good that customers can’t resist. For example, once a customer signs up for your loyalty program, he instantly receive a “welcome” message with an offer for 15% his next purchase.
A week later, that same customer receives a push notification special offer based on ‘geo-locating’ him a few blocks way from your store or restaurant and suggesting new items based on what he purchased from you during his last visit. This type of tailored communications is powerful because it cuts down on irrelevant messages, and, each customer receives tailor-made messages unique to their relationship with your business.
4. Plan for the future with AI technology. With AI technology more mainstream and accessible, today’s platforms have become highly interactive, intuitive and convenient, offering each customer a unique experience with a brand from their very own pocket. This ‘big data’ technology is a valuable marketing tool for businesses because it allows merchants to truly KNOW their customers: what they like, how often they order, how much they spend, when they visit. If you don’t know your customer, it could be the one thing that drives them into the arms of your competitor.
5. Offer pre-orders and in-store pickup. To keep up with smartphone-savvy customers wanting to avoid queues, many high profile brands are successfully implementing mobile orders, pay by phone, check-in and pickup features. With the My McD’s app, for example, customers can order ahead, pay through their phones, scan and earn McCafé mobile rewards, and get weekly exclusive offers right on their mobile devices. This app demonstrates McDonald’s commitment to offer customers a guest-centric experience that can be better tailored to their needs. Luckily, you don’t need to invest in a proprietary platform Perk Hero offers solutions that you can customize with your brand.
Getting people through the door and into your store is vital for any brick and mortar business. It turns consumer into customer and customers drive revenue and success. If you’re business hasn’t explored the above tips to help increase foot traffic, what are you waiting for?
Contact us today to learn more about what Perk Hero can do for you.